.embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; } .embed-container iframe, .embed-container object, .embed-container embed { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; }

FRANKFORT — Whenever Mount Markham built a huge lead, Frankfort-Schuyler responded.

Mount Markham was able to hold on, using every bit of senior quarterback Josh Douglas' huge rushing night to defeat the Maroon Knights 34-27 in a Class D East contest Friday at Frankfort-Schuyler High School.

Douglas, Mount Markham's (2-1, 2-1) shifty and skillful signal caller, entered the game as the area’s leading rusher. He finished the game with 225 yards and five touchdowns on 29 carries. He also completed 2 of 4 passes for 32 yards.

After struggling last week, Robert Linen-Holmes ran for 102 yards on 15 rushes and a two-point conversion.

Alphonso Linen-Holmes each ran for two-point conversions.

"We push and do all we can for our running backs," said Darryl Neff, an offensive lineman along with the likes of Cameron Curtis and Cameron Ingalls. "We do all we can to get better. That’s all we have to do: get 1 percent better every day."

Joe Streeter, the reigning sectional champion in the 100-meter dash for Frankfort-Schuyler (0-2, 1-2), ran 26 times for 241 yards, three total touchdowns and a two-point conversion. He even caught two passes for 15 yards.

Senior QB Jason Yelle completed 9 of 23 passes for 99 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

John Banas made one extra point try.

Yelle found Josh Morgan for a 19-yard score to put F-S within 34-27 with 44 seconds to go. The ensuing kickoff was squibbed, recovered by the Maroon Knights at the Mustangs' 32 to give themselves one last gasp.

Mount Markham's defense was up for the task, however, stopping F-S in four downs at the four-yard line in the waning seconds to win the game.

"We stayed together as a team and we knew we could make that stop," said Douglas, who also plays linebacker on defense.

"I’m jealous that they get to play meaningful football, with the game on the line, and I have to watch from the sideline. That’s what I told them," Mount Markham head coach Loren Winegard said. "They’re lucky to have that situation. The only time I’ll get that situation is if I’m playing PlayStation."

In the beginning of the game, Mount Markham jumped out to a 14-0 lead. Douglas scored from 8 and 1-yard out, using his line to guide him.

The Maroon Knights waited late into the first half to get on the board. Streeter gained 73 on one drive alone, which ended with a 19-yard rushing touchdown to help get within 14-8.

Streeter put on a beautiful display of his track attributes to end the half. With 15 seconds remaining, state-qualifying sprinter broke loose into the Mount Markham defensive backfield. It was a footrace once he made it to the near sideline, running 78 yards for the tying score before Banas’ extra point kick gave the Maroon Knights a 15-14 edge at the break.

"The Streeter kid is amazing," Winegard said. "He touches the ball and he’s in the end zone. He can do it all. I give a lot of credit to LaGase and his coaching staff. They’re real banged up and they came to play tonight."

On the opening drive of the second half, Douglas punched it in from 2 yards out for his third touchdown and a 22-15 Mustangs lead after three.

Mount Markham threatened after a 64-yard run by Douglas placed the Mustangs at the five before being stopped on fourth-and-goal. Douglas came back on the next drive and scored on a 26-yard rush for a 28-15 lead.

"My line … all I do is hold the football," Douglas said. "They make the holes and I make the right reads. My job is to not let go of the football. … Robert takes pressure off of me. They don’t know who to stop. We’re an aggressive duo out there."

Streeter returned the ensuing kickoff 70 yards for a score to get F-S within the Mustangs 28-21 with 6:05 remaining.

The game seemed to be out of reach when Douglas ran 10 yards for his fifth touchdown, giving the Mustangs a 34-21 advantage with 3:23 remaining. Robert James’ redzone interception on the ensuing drive also seemed to help.

The Maroon Knights refused to go away. Josh Grems recovered a fumble for F-S the very next play. A 19-yard touchdown pass from Yelle to Morgan put the hosts within a touchdown with 44 seconds.

They went on to recover the onside kick but were unable to capitalize.

"You can’t simulate those reps. You can’t simulate those situations," Winegard said. "To be successful in those situations makes it even better."

Follow OD_Slaughter on Twitter or call him at 315-792-4963.