Five businesses in Oneida and Herkimer counties were charged with selling alcohol to a minor as part of a statewide underage drinking crackdown, the results of which Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday.
The five are among 186 licensees throughout the state charged following 851 compliance checks at licensed locations in 46 different counties. In total, 23 businesses in Oneida County and seven in Herkimer County were checked.
The State Liquor Authority, the state Department of Motor Vehicles and local law enforcement agencies coordinated the sweeps with the use of underage agents, looking for fake IDs and licensed retailers who sell to minors, according to Wednesday's announcement.
The local offenders are listed below:
• Cliff's Local Market, 11468 Route 12, Alder Creek
• Red's Market, 8528 Route 365, Stittville
• Nice 'N Easy, 7296 W. Main St., Westmoreland
• The Happen Inn, 2 W. Main St., Little Falls
• Runway Mart, 4 North Ann, Little Falls
Those charged face civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation, with fines starting from $2,500 to $3,000 for an initial offense, according to the state, while repeat offenders could risk losing their licenses.
"Underage drinking and fake IDs are not only illegal but can lead to reckless decisions with lifelong consequences," Cuomo said in a statement. "We will continue to take action to hold businesses accountable for illegal sales as well as those who use fake IDs. We have zero tolerance for these offenses in New York."
The following businesses, meanwhile, refused to sell to minors, according to state officials:
• Oneida County: A Plus Mini Market in Boonville, Nice 'N Easy on Main Street in Boonville, Charlie's Liquor in Boonville, Fastrac Market on Route 49 in Marcy, Fastrac Market on Herkimer Road in Utica, Speedway on N. Genesee Street in Utica, Sonbyrne Sales in Utica, Litchman's Wine & Liquor in Utica, Fastrac Market on Oriskany Street West in Utica, Stewart's Shop on State Route 12 in Barneveld, Stewart's Shop on Main Street in Holland Patent, Rock Liquors in Yorkville, Express Mart on Oriskany Boulevard in Yorkville, Kinney Drugs on Oriskany Boulevard in Whitesboro, Rite Aid Pharmacy on Oriskany Boulevard in Whitesboro, Mohawk Fuel & Food Mart in Marcy, Cliff's Local Market on Route 69 in Oriskany, Singh Petroleum Two in Rome and Stewart's Shop on State Route 233 in Westmoreland.
• Herkimer County: Icehouse Tavern in Little Falls, Haskell's Inn in Cold Brook, Newport Town Tavern in Newport, Dibble's Inn in Middleville and Dopp's Inn in Dolgeville.