TRENTON — A local family that's been farming for more than 50 years says the community support has been "overwhelming" since they lost their dairy herd Sunday in a fire.

The blaze was reported at around 11 a.m. at the farm of Terrance and Debbie Jones at 10306 Whittaker Road.

“We lost a little over 200 head,” Debbie Jones said Monday. “It’s a pile of rubble now.”

The barn was completely destroyed, but no people were injured in the fire, she added.

The fire was caused by an electric malfunction in a tractor stored in the barn, said Trenton Joint Fire District Chief Kevin Kalk. He said the barn would be smoldering for a few days given all the hay and other stuff inside. Fire crews also continued to wet the site with water Monday morning to prevent any rekindling.

The family was insured, he said.

Jones said she and her family are grateful for all the offers of help and support from the community, but they feel like they lost everything.

“We’re just trying to pick up the pieces. ... We wanted to retire one day, but not like this," she said.

Jones said her husband is a second-generation farmer, and over the years, the cows had become part of the farm family.

“Every night he goes and checks the cows. Last night, he couldn’t,” she said.

Contact reporter Jolene Cleaver at 315-792-4956 or follow her on Twitter (@OD_Cleaver).