Scholarship applications available at foundation
The Herkimer Region College & Career Scholarship Foundation is accepting applications for scholarships for the 2018-2019 college year. Each year, this local foundation presents approximately a dozen scholarships.
Students eligible for these scholarships include those who are majoring in technical education in their high school program and plan to go to college next year. This includes virtually all students enrolled in the Career and Technical Education Center at Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES. Also eligible are those adults who wish to enroll in vocational training, such as practical nursing, at Herkimer BOCES.
There are special incentive awards available for those pursuing careers in certain areas. These special funds are administered by the Herkimer Region College & Career Scholarship Foundation and are in addition to the scholarships offered through the general fund.
The special incentive awards are:
• The Paul A. Bouck Memorial Fund provides a scholarship to a student who is entering a field of study that relates to agriculture, a rural-related field or other related areas.
• The Robert A. Moore Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student who has completed the Herkimer BOCES visual communications media arts program and plans to further training in the field of radio and television broadcasting.
• The Special Nursing Fund provides a scholarship to a nursing student in need of financial assistance.
• The Mower Family Farm Fund provides a scholarship to a student who will be pursuing occupations in the field of agriculture.
• The William E. Whitehill, Jr. Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student in the Career Tech Center who demonstrates the most improvement while in the program.
• The Chris Brockway Memorial Scholarship Award provides a scholarship to a student who completes the criminal justice program.
• Papaleo/Dady Family Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student who successfully completes a two-year CTE program at BOCES with a minimum GPA of 85 percent.
• The Harry J. Enea Sr. Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student entering the mortuary science field.
• The David Congdon Jr. Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student who completes the Building Construction program at Herkimer BOCES.
• The Chester A. Scerra Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student pursuing an education in the field of culinary arts.
Application forms are now available from guidance counselors in all Herkimer BOCES area school districts, the Career Tech Center office at the Herkimer BOCES complex at 352 Gros Blvd. in East Herkimer or by calling 315-867-2023.
The deadline for submitting an application is March 16.
MVCC to host Presidents Day Information Sessions
Mohawk Valley Community College will host group information sessions on Presidents Day, Monday, Feb. 19, in the MVCC Admissions Office in Payne Hall on the Utica Campus.
Students interested in attending MVCC are welcome to choose from one of three sessions: 9 a.m. with a 9:45 a.m. tour, 11 a.m. with an 11:45 a.m. tour, and 1:30 p.m. with a 2:15 p.m. tour. Attendees will have the chance to meet with an admissions counselor, discuss financial aid options, scholarships, athletics, and more. Tours of the Utica Campus and the residence halls will be available.
Reserve your spot by calling 315-792-5354 or registering online at www.mvcc.edu/infosessions.
For students interested in visiting MVCC’s Rome Branch Campus, which houses its Hospitality, Interpreter Education, and Airframe and Powerplant programs, Information Sessions are available by calling 315-334-7709. There is no on-campus housing on the Rome Campus.
MVCC to host Student-Athlete Information Session
Mohawk Valley Community College will host an Information Session for prospective student-athletes at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20, in room 202 of the Robert R. Jorgensen Athletic/Event Center on the College’s Utica Campus for those who are interested in earning an associate degree or certificate and becoming a part of the MVCC Hawks family.
The session includes information on the admissions process, financial aid options, athletics, a campus tour, and lunch.
MVCC has 19 sports – nine for men and 10 for women – including baseball, basketball, bowling, cross-country, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, and volleyball. The College’s athletic facilities include a high-end fitness center, an indoor walking/running track, indoor swimming pool, basketball courts, tennis courts, outdoor fields, and practice space.
To reserve your spot, call 315-792-5674 or email: email@example.com.
Christian women's club to host luncheon
The Mohawk Valley Christian Women's Club is hosting its monthly luncheon meeting titled, "A Full Heart Luncheon" from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20, at Hart's Hill Inn, 135 Clinton St.
The special feature will be: Sweet Escape Chocolate Lounge with Kelly. Guest speaker Eileen Banks of Rome will speak on "The Wonder of Life." Enjoy musical selections by Banks.
The cost is $13 per person. Free child care is made by reservation. Bring a bag lunch for your child.
To make a reservation, call 315-733-2085 or 315-733-1638. Walk-ins are welcome.
Build skills to help you communicate with your child
Parent Effectiveness Training will take place from noon to 2 p.m. Thursdays from March 15, through May 10, at The Good News Center, 10475 Cosby Manor Road.
James Davis will be facilitating this eight-week program that is educational and experiential to help parents build skills to more effectively communicate with their children and resolve conflicts.
Space is limited. The cost is $50 per person.
For information and to register, call 315-724-5173.