UTICA — A trial has been scheduled for November in the case of Ricky Woods Jr., who stands accused of shooting and killing a man two years ago.
Woods, 20, was arrested in March on a grand jury indictment for second-degree murder in connection to the death of Jamal Mathis, who was found dead Dec. 19, 2015, with multiple gunshot wounds in a backyard along the 1100 block of Leeds Street in Utica.
Woods appeared Friday in Oneida County Court with his attorney Devin Garramone. Judge Michael Dwyer set Monday, Nov. 13, as the date for the trial.
Woods also was scheduled to appear in court Friday to be sentenced on a different matter.
He was set to be sentenced for his involvement in the Jan. 2 shooting of Utica resident Khalil Gilmore. Woods was found guilty by a jury of attempted second-degree murder, second-degree kidnapping and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon to close a four-day trial in June.
The impending trial, however, forced Dwyer to reschedule the sentencing to Friday, Nov. 17.
“So Mr. Woods, we’re going to have to put off sentencing because when I sentence you on the first indictment, then they’re going to take you to state prison and we’re not going to have you present to conduct the second trial if needed,” Dwyer told Woods on Friday.
Garramone declined to comment about the upcoming trial.
Woods was 19 when he was arrested, along with three other co-defendants, for the Jan. 2 shooting.
The other three co-defendants in the case — Andre Baptista, Jahmel Howard and DeMarkus Smith — pleaded guilty earlier this year to their involvement. Police testimony during the trial revealed that the shooting possibly was gang-related.
Prosecutors said they believe Woods pulled a gun on Gilmore that afternoon at Woods’ McBride Avenue home when realizing Gilmore’s connections to a rival gang. Prosecutors said Woods told Baptista to shoot if Gilmore tried to flee — which he did — as the group took him from McBride Avenue to Oneida Street.
Follow @OD_Mason on Twitter or call him at 315-792-5074.