ILION, N.Y. – An Ilion man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head following an incident at 225 Otsego St. Tuesday afternoon, according to police.

Stanley J. Johnson, 42, of 97 Grove St., was found deceased within the home after police received reports of a possible suicide involving a firearm with a second victim present around 2:05 p.m., according to a news release from Ilion police on Wednesday.

Police said the single gunshot traveled through Johnson’s body and struck his daughter, Shai A. Johnson, 20, in the leg. She was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica by Ilion Ambulance where she was treated and released. Police said that Shai Johnson lives at the home where the incident took place.

Police said this information is based upon the investigation conducted thus far, and is pending final forensic analysis and autopsy results.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing. Ilion police are continuing to conduct interviews and obtain statements, while awaiting the results of an autopsy that was scheduled for Wednesday, according to the news release.

“We’ve interviewed quite a few people,” said Ilion Police Chief Timothy Parisi during a telephone interview Wednesday. “… Based on information and physical evidence gathered at this point, there wouldn’t be any charges unless other information [comes out] or the autopsy provides other information.”

Parisi declined to comment Wednesday on whether there had been any past police incidents at either the daughter’s or the father’s residences.

Herkimer County District Attorney Jeff Carpenter said Wednesday he did not know why the father traveled to his daughter’s home before shooting himself. The daughter was in the same room when he shot himself, he said.

Four other family members were present at the time of the shooting, including Stanley Johnson’s 39-year-old estranged wife. Police did not identify the relationship of the other three family members, ages 2, 15 and 16. It was unclear whether any of them witnessed the shooting.

Police said no other gunshots were fired. Parisi said they were still trying to determine whether the handgun used was legally owned.

Police said the home was turned back over to the family following the collection of evidence at the scene. All the yellow police tape had been removed from the outside of the home Wednesday morning; the day before it was strewn across both sides of the road with several police vehicles lining the street.

State police, the state police Forensic Investigative Unit, Herkimer, Mohawk and Town of Frankfort police, the Herkimer County Sheriff’s Department, and the Herkimer County District Attorney’s office all assisted at the scene. Ilion Fire Department also assisted.

Herkimer County Coroner Harry Enea responded and assisted at the scene.

Representatives from Herkimer County Child Protective Services, the county’s Domestic Violence Program, and the county’s Child Advocacy Center were made available to assist the family.

Shai Johnson has apparently set up a page on the crowdfunding website GoFundMe to assist with expenses, with a goal of $3,000. She says she lives with her mother Storie Johnson, sister Alyssa Johnson, brother Stanley Johnson, who has severe autism, and her two children.

“We are asking for help because we have no where to go. No one could have expected for this to happen, and we can’t go back to the home where we just watched our father/husband take his life. I don’t really know how to write one of these, or what to say... but I am begging each and everyone of you to please please help us to raise money for a home,” states the website.

The page had raised $370 early Wednesday evening.

Gatehouse New York contributed to this article.