The building at 133-135 North Main St., Herkimer, has been boarded up and posted, but it served as a home for a number of local businesses over the years. The name of one of them, Sauer Drug Company, still appears over the front entrance.
A news clipping from the May 4, 1916, issue of the Ilion Citizen tells of the sale of the building, then owned by Dr. Cyrus Kay, to the newly incorporated Sauer Drug Company. Fred W. Sauer was president and treasurer and Fred A. Ray, postmaster, was entering the business and would be serving as vice president and secretary. “Mr. Sauer is one of the best known druggists in the Mohawk Valley,” according to the article. “More than a year ago he purchased the business of the late L.B. Jones.” Sauer was supervisor of the town of Herkimer. Ray was a traveling agent for an Albany drug firm before being appointed postmaster.
A check of a few of the city directories available at the Herkimer County Historical Society turns up a sampling of the businesses that occupied the structure:
1916 – John C. Keefe sporting goods, motorcycles, bicycles, cigars and tobacco was located at 133 N. Main St.
1929 - The Sauer Drug Company was at 133 N. Main St. and the Annex Restaurant at 135 N. Main St.
1936 – Richmond Billiard and Bowling Club Inc., Leland P. Quinlavin Drugs and the State Conservation Department were listed at 133 N. Main St., and the Village Grill Restaurant at 135 N. Main St.
1942 – National Auto Stores at 133 N. Main St. and MacDonald Specialty Shoppe at 135 N. Main St.
1949 – Modern Shoes at 133 N. Main St. and Miller Electric Company Radios at 135 N. Main St.
1955 – Modern Shoes at 133 N. Main St., and Miller Electric Company Radios at 135 N. Main St.
1965 – Modern Shoes at 133 N. Main St. and Knoblock Dental Lab at 135 N. Main St. along with City Barber Shop and Mary’s Beauty Shop.
1975 - Modern Shoes at 133 N. Main St., and Mary’s Beauty Shop at 135 N. Main St.
1985 – Mister C’s Music at 133 N. Main St., and Geri’s Children’s Shop at 135 N. Main St.