From smartphones to mattresses, almost everything you buy comes with some kind of warranty. How can you ensure you get the most benefit from a warranty, especially for a major investment that’s also critical to the comfort of your home, like a new furnace?
Because written warranties are legally binding documents, you may come across unfamiliar terms as you’re reading yours, including:
• Product warranty: This is the guarantee that comes from the company that manufactures the furnace. Contractors and installers may offer extended warranties that apply to their work, including the labor required to install the furnace.
• Warranty term: The length of time the coverage is offered is called the warranty term.
• Parts warranty: Most furnace warranties will cover replacement of specific parts if they malfunction within the warranty time frame and the problem is a result of a manufacturer’s defect. Most warranties have different coverage periods for different parts.
• Non-transferable: When you have a new home comfort system installed, if the furnace warranty is non-transferable, the coverage will not transfer to the new owners if you sell the house before the end of the warranty term.
Protect your warranty
Actions that help ensure a valid warranty:
• Register the product purchase with the manufacturer. Most manufacturers require homeowners to register their furnace with the manufacturer within a specified window of time after the purchase and installation.
• Work with a qualified contractor who can properly install the product. If a part doesn’t work because it wasn’t installed properly, the manufacturer will likely say the installer, and not the manufacturer, is liable for fixing the problem.
• Use branded parts or parts the manufacturer has certified for the furnace. Otherwise, you may void the manufacturer’s warranty, even for parts that would normally be covered.
• Follow manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations. In order for your furnace to operate as it should, it will need to be professionally serviced every year. Keep service records for reference, in case there is ever an issue that arises.
According to Forbes, the top 10 employers for diversity in the U.S. are:
1. Northern Trust
2. The Smithsonian Institution
5. Harvard University
6. Principal Financial
7. Emory University
8. Wegmans Food Markets
9. Keller Williams Realty
NUMBER TO KNOW
$107 billion: Government officials in Saudi Arabia recently announce it has recovered more than $107 billion (or 400 billion riyals) from suspects arrested in a crackdown into alleged corruption.
Groups urge removal of Messengers Kids
The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood recently sent a letter to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg arguing for the removal of the social media’s messenger service for kids. The group, along with 100 other child health advocates, argued that social media is detrimental to the development and well-being of younger children. In December, Facebook announced that it is working with experts and investing in research to determine if time spent of social media is bad for users.